A very big announcement

For a woman who writes about being open and honest, it seems strange to have kept a rather enormous secret from you all over the past nine months. No, don’t worry, it’s not a baby… Though it’s likely to be just as life-changing as bringing a child into this world, what’s been cooking behind the scenes is not a bun in the oven, but rather a very big and exciting adventure.

And now it’s finally time for me to share my exciting news with you. It’s probably a good job you’re reading this rather than talking to me face to face, as I may deafen you as I shout with glee…

I’M DOING THE RICKSHAW RUN!!!

… cue tumble weeds.

For those of you who haven’t heard of this awesome tri-annual adventure before, it’s a 3,500km road trip spanning the length of India. In an auto-rickshaw.

Organised by a lovely little British company known as The Adventurists, the Rickshaw Run is a totally unaided, self-driven journey that takes you from Jaisalmer, Rajasthan in the north of India, down to Cochin, Kerala in the south. There is no set route and no support system, you simply have to drive from A to B, and arrive safely within two weeks.

Oh, and another thing I should probably mention, I’m doing it with two strangers. Yup, you read that right. I’m driving 3,500km across the sub-continent of India. In a rickshaw. With two people I’ve never met before. Over two weeks. Jealous?

If you’re not yet, you will be after watching this video:

It all started back in January. I had always wanted to take part in the Rickshaw Run but never managed to find anyone crazy enough to take part in it with me. Until I met fellow travel bloggers Kim and Sarah. Well, when I say met, I mean I saw their names in the comments section on Almost Fearless, but that’s good enough for me.

So one day, with the January 2013 Rickshaw Run application deadline looming, I decided to send them an email. In the subject line I wrote the immortal words “Call me crazy but…” and I fully expected them both to do just that.

Except they didn’t.

They embraced the idea immediately, and though they both had doubts, we signed ourselves up and together the three of us make team Namaste Outta My Way (I feel like I should be wearing a cape and spandex onesie as I write that).

We are launching a brand spanking new blog, Rickshaw Run Diaries, that will chart our progress as we prepare to putter our way across India. We will be writing about every aspect of our journey, before during and after the event takes place, and aim to build a permanent resource for future participants of the Rickshaw Run. We really hope you will all follow along and support us as we prepare for the adventure ahead.

NOW FOR THE REALLY IMPORTANT BIT

Before you write us off as three crazy women with a death wish, we have some very good reasons for doing this. Obviously getting to share the adventure of a lifetime is one of them, but the main reason is because this is actually a charity event.

We will be raising money for FRANK Water, a wonderful charity who have been funding clean water projects in India since 2005. All FRANK Water projects are sustainable, community run rural projects for villagers living below the poverty line.

WE NEED YOUR SUPPORT

You can support team Namaste Outta My Way in a number of different ways. First and foremost, we would LOVE it if you would be kind enough to sponsor our epic adventure. No donation is too small – every penny really does count, and 100% of the money raised goes directly to FRANK Water.

DONATE HERE!

Our aim is to raise at least £2000 ($3215 USD) for FRANK Water, as well as recruit some corporate sponsorship to help us make the expedition happen.

Other ways you can support us are:

WE NEED CORPORATE SPONSORS

We are currently canvassing for sponsorship of the expedition and can offer promotional packages for just about any budget across all four of our blogs. If you own a small or large business we invite you to sponsor team Namaste Outta My Way.

Sponsorship is a great way for your business to gain exposure across multiple websites. All sponsors will have their logos and links placed on our team website as well as the accomplished blogs of Further BoundSarah Somewhere and So Many Places.

In addition, the primary sponsor will have their logo painted on the team vehicle, which will cover 3,500km of one of the most populated countries on Earth! Not to mention feature on YouTube videos and other media coverage of the event, such as The Adventurists official website.

If your business would like to sponsor team Namaste Outta My Way please click here for more information or contact me directly. As Sarah put it – who wouldn’t want their business logo painted on an auto-rickshaw and driven 3,500km across one of the most populated countries on the planet? Where else could you get that kind of exposure?!

So now the secret’s out, all that’s left is to actually do this thing.

It’s going to be epic!

Why not read about the launch from the perspective of my team mates?

The Travel Fool September 12, 2012 at 19:59

That is cool. Looks like a lot of fun I am sure you will have a blast.
The Travel Fool recently posted..Photo of The Week Beach Paradise

Hannah September 13, 2012 at 02:15

Thank you! I certainly hope so 🙂

Kim September 12, 2012 at 20:14

Whooo hooo!!! That’s actually the first time I’ve watched that video. I’m a little (a lot) scared!
Kim recently posted..Galapagos is a Magical Place (Part 3)

Hannah September 13, 2012 at 01:32

Really? I watch it all the time – it makes me happy 🙂

Sarah Somewhere September 12, 2012 at 20:30

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! WOOP WOOP!
Sarah Somewhere recently posted..The Launch of The Rickshaw Run Diaries!

Hannah September 13, 2012 at 01:32

I hear ya!

Kirsten Carroccia September 12, 2012 at 20:42

Congrats on getting the opportunity to fulfill an adventure on your bucket list. I can so see you doing this… 😉 You should pitch this as a new reality show. xxoo

Hannah September 13, 2012 at 01:57

Thank you Kirsten! We’ll be filming it ourselves and hopefully putting together some kind of video of our adventures. Wouldn’t want to put the Kardashian’s out of a job or anything – what else would they do for a living?!

Stephen Schreck September 12, 2012 at 20:45

That is sooo aweomse…just added this to my bucket list!

Hannah September 13, 2012 at 01:35

Great! I hope we can inspire you rather than put you off 🙂

Carmel September 12, 2012 at 21:04

I love that you masterminded this idea. Can’t wait to follow you gals!
Carmel recently posted..Mom’s birthday dinner

Hannah September 13, 2012 at 01:34

Ha! I’m sure I’ll be cursing myself when my butt is sore from bouncing along the potholed roads in the middle of nowhere!

Gina September 12, 2012 at 21:21

Exciting news! You’re going to have such an incredible time!
Gina recently posted..How Travel Helps Us to be Young Again

Hannah September 13, 2012 at 01:33

Thanks Gina! It really is going to be amazing 🙂

Adam September 12, 2012 at 23:01

So awesome!!! I’ve been fascinated with the Rickshaw Run for a while and think it’s a great project. Never saw that video before (or if I did, I’d forgotten) and it looks amazing.

Can’t wait to follow along!
Adam recently posted..Introducing the Great American (…and Canada!) Hipster Project

Hannah September 13, 2012 at 01:59

So glad to have you along for the ride! It’s a great video isn’t it – hopefully we’ll be making some fine video of the RR ourselves 🙂

Michayla September 12, 2012 at 23:09

I’ve never heard of the Rickshaw Run before! It sounds like such a rush! I’m excited for you 3! 🙂

Hannah September 13, 2012 at 02:00

Thank you! I can’t remember how I first heard about it, but I’ve been obsessed with doing it ever since. So excited to finally get the chance 🙂

Ashley September 13, 2012 at 04:02

What an amazing adventure you will all have. Very jealous! I would love to do something similar maybe one day. Just finished reading Shantaram which is based in India and it definitely makes me want to go there, what better way to see it than a rickshaw. Good-luck to the three of you. 🙂

Hannah September 13, 2012 at 11:31

Thanks Ashley! I loved Shantaram when I read it. India is such an incredible country, with so much to offer. I can’t wait to get back there and definitely recommend it for your future travels 🙂

Mid-Life Cruising! September 13, 2012 at 17:44

Never heard of this before, but it looks like a blast! We’re looking forward to hearing about your team’s journey, and LOVE the name!

Hannah September 16, 2012 at 17:47

It’s a great name, isn’t it! Kim’s husband Brian came up with it. We’re so excited to share this amazing adventure, all whilst raising money and awareness for such a wonderful cause 🙂

Phillipa September 13, 2012 at 21:26

No turning back now babes! You are Superhuman!x

Hannah September 16, 2012 at 17:45

Ha! Hardly, but thank you for your vote of confidence 🙂

Mimi September 15, 2012 at 07:02

Looks like an amazing adventure, and I’m sure it will be a great memory.

But I do have a question about how you’re choosing to spend your travel time and money. Are you interested in really seeing India? I love India, and it’s so complex with so much to see and experience. I spent 3 months there moving around slowly, and I felt like I could easily spend another year seeing new things every day.

While I’d love the adventure of a race like this, it would kill me to literally race past all of the amazing towns, people, markets, animals, ancient sights and everything else in India. I’d want to actually stop and experience the country and the local people. I’d want to have leisurely meals at street stalls and local venues. I’d be so sad to race so quickly through such a wonderful and complex place. And I’d worry that in my focus on wildly racing through a country, I’d somehow be disrespectful to people in the country.

I guess I combine this question with your desire to just live in Goa as your entire experience in India. Do you worry about not really seeing more of the country? I barely consider Goa to be India in the sense that it’s the most westernized with so many tourists. And it’s so different (in a holiday/tourist way) from the many other states and regions of India. On my first trip to India, I didn’t even visit Goa because it seemed generic and less challenging than all the other places to visit.

So between racing through the country and then living just in Goa, are you worried that you won’t really experience India and all of the fascinating places in it? Or perhaps you plan to travel (slowly) throughout the country with Goa as a home base.

Hannah September 16, 2012 at 15:34

Mimi, I must say I found your comment to be extremely presumptuous and ignorant. I am fortunate enough to have already visited India six times, and covered the length and breadth of this amazing country. During this time I have made lifelong friends with locals and learnt countless lessons, one of which is to never judge other people, or the choices they make. We are all on our own journeys, and I travel for my own reasons, none of which I feel the need to defend in the comments section of my blog. Or anywhere else for that matter.

Torre – Fearful Adventurer September 22, 2012 at 10:25

Best reply ever. I just pumped the air with my fist.
Torre – Fearful Adventurer recently posted..An Adventure on Two Wheels in Laos

Hannah September 23, 2012 at 15:18

Why thank you 🙂

Jeremy or IHeartTravel September 17, 2012 at 00:47

From the moment you told me about this I couldn’t help but think how amazing this experience will be for all of you!

Much respect to you 3 as well for the charity that will benefit from your adventures, May you 3 make this adventure everything you want it to be!!!
Jeremy or IHeartTravel recently posted..You possess the power to change yourself…Seriously !

Hannah September 23, 2012 at 15:25

Thank you so much Jeremy, your support is greatly appreciated, as always. And I can’t wait to take my ‘Travel Hat’ along for the ride 🙂

Ayngelina September 17, 2012 at 18:31

That sounds like so much fun, can`t wait to hear all about it.
Ayngelina recently posted..Visiting the 911 Memorial

Hannah September 23, 2012 at 15:20

Thanks Ayngelina, I can’t wait to share our adventures and misadventures!

Lauren September 19, 2012 at 07:07

I stumbled across your blog a few months ago courtesy of Sarah Somewhere and I’ve come across it again bc of your “crazy” plan! How exciting and I’m glad you sent that email, to think you may have not had this awesome opportunity!

Hannah September 23, 2012 at 15:30

Thanks Lauren, I’m so glad you found me! I have definitely learnt that it is always worth putting yourself out there – what’s the worst that can happen? You end up stuck in a rickshaw for a fortnight with two strangers?! 🙂

Susan @ Travel Junkette September 21, 2012 at 18:59

Ahhhh! SO pumped for you! This has definitely been a dream of mine. I can’t wait to follow your epic journey… and for such a great cause!!

Hannah September 23, 2012 at 15:20

Thanks Susan, I’m so excited to finally be taking part!

Venkat Ganesh @ India Backpack Motorbike September 22, 2012 at 15:12

India in a Rickshaw! This is so insanely awesome!
Best wishes to all of you! Can’t wait for the ride to begin! Bookmarked!

Cheers
Venky

Hannah September 23, 2012 at 15:51

Thank you Venkat!

Jenny September 27, 2012 at 05:46

The RICKSHAW RUN!!!!!! I’m SO EXCITED for you 🙂
Jenny recently posted..Photos of the Week: Mantras in the Mountains

Hannah October 16, 2012 at 09:40

Thanks Jenny!

Audrey | That Backpacker October 3, 2012 at 10:31

Nice! I would love to do this someday. I just need to find a mechanic – just in case, haha 😀
Audrey | That Backpacker recently posted..Inside My Korean Apartment

Hannah October 16, 2012 at 09:41

Yeah, I’m thinking of getting a little training in while I’m living in Goa – need to befriend a rickshaw driver to give me a few lessons!

Steph | DiscoveringIce.com October 4, 2012 at 00:57

Please please take as much videos as possible!! AAAAAMMMAAZING!!! So love this!
Steph | DiscoveringIce.com recently posted..Travel Style: Fast vs. Slow Travel – The Advantages and Disadvantages

Hannah October 16, 2012 at 09:43

Will do! I really can’t wait to start reporting live from the road 🙂

Trish October 23, 2012 at 14:43

Hannah I saw your link from A Backpackers Tale. This looks wonderful good luck.

sofia the traveler November 26, 2012 at 23:41

Wow, it sounds amazing!! This is definitely going up on my bucket list! Look forward to following your blog updates!
sofia the traveler recently posted..Get your thumb out of your but!